The Internal Complaint Committee (ICC) of Bishop Heber College (Autonomous) was constituted in February 2017 in accordance with The Sexual Harassment at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal ) Act.2013.This committee is formed with a view to provide protection against sexual harassment of women employees and students in the Campus and for the prevention and redressal of complaints of sexual harassment and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto. 


  1. To create awareness among all employees and students
  2. To prohibit the unwelcome behavior that constitutes workplace sexual harassment or acts amounting to sexual harassment of any employee or students
  3. To ensure that all individuals are treated with equal respect and no discriminatory treatment is meted out to anyone on grounds of gender alone
  4. To provide unbiased yet empathetic redress process

Who Can Complain?

Any Aggrieved woman who has suffered harassment at workplace can approach ICC.
Aggrieved woman includes :
    a. Woman who is an employee, or
    b. Someone visiting workplace, or
    c. Student

An aggrieved woman can file a complaint within a period of three months from the date of incident, and in case of a series of incidents, within a period of three months from the date of last incident.

Mechanism of submission of offline/online grievances:

The students are given free hand to submit their grievances & complaints related to sexual harassment & ragging. The students can submit their complaint in anyone of the following method:


  • Email Submission:

The students can register their complaints through Email Id provided in the website of the college This Email submission will be received by the principal/ chairperson to take necessary action.


  • Redressal Complaint Box:

The complaint box are kept in the college campus, the students can write & drop his/her grievances & complaints in the box provided. Periodically the complaints will be collected & analyzed.

Phone Contacts: The phone numbers to register the complaints are displayed in the campus. The students can directly contact these numbers for registering their complaints. They can contact the student counselors,  Head of the Department / Dean / Director / Internal complaints committee (ICC) through mobile phones to register their complaints. The phone number details of the concern authority are given in academic calendar and displayed in ICC notice boards.